Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2-Person Tent Review
Like its single-person counterpart, the Lynx 2-person camping tent from Alps Mountaineering has all the basic features you want in a tent – with a few enhancements thrown in.
One of the major differences between Lynx 1 and 2 is that the latter is bigger as it is designed to accommodate 2 users. As such, it is also more expensive.
Lynx 2 is among the roomiest and least expensive model in the 2-3 person category. However, there are trade-offs to these amazing benefits.
For one, it is on the heavy side. It is likewise not the best tent to use under windy conditions. These are only minor drawbacks that are easily outweighed by the product’s benefits.
If the weight doesn’t bother you, or if you only go on occasional camping trips, then it is a non-issue.
Likewise, you can always split the weight with your camping companion.
Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2 Tent Features
Aside from having a bigger space (compared to Lynx 1), Lynx 2 can comfortably accommodate 2 to 3 people. It also comes with more functional features and attachments than the basic 1-person model.
- Two Doors
The Lynx 2-person camping tent from Alps Mountaineering is designed with 2 doors. Thus, it offers greater access. More importantly, it is equipped with 2 additional vestibules. This way, if there are two tent occupants, each user will have his own storage space for his gear and equipment.
- Large, Comfortable Space
The tent’s interior offers sufficient floor space for 2 users with their respective gear and belongings. The mesh netting covers over half of the walls. This means the tent is sufficiently-ventilated inside. In addition, the high ceiling helps in improving ventilation and weather protection.
- Extra-Large Zippers
Lynx 2 is fitted with #8 zippers. Together with the no-see nylon mesh, the large zippers help provide a modern and sleek look for the tent. The zippers are likewise easy to grip and use even during harsh weather conditions outside.
- Premium-Grade Aluminum Poles
Lynx 2 is fitted with high quality aluminum poles that are designed to form a rectangular dome structure. Pole clips are provided to easily attach the tent over to the poles, allowing for fast and convenient assembly.You can have the tent up and ready for use in as quickly as 5 minutes.
- Waterproof Fly
The entire tent is built using durable materials. The fly, for one, is covered by Poly Tafetta and 1500 mm multi-pass urethane coat.Thus, even if it rains, water will not penetrate into the tent. You will be safe and dry inside even during inclement weather conditions.
- Weather Proof Fly Buckles
The fly buckles are designed to withstand all types of weather conditions. While other plastic materials have the tendency to swell when exposed to heat, the material installed in the Lynx 2 will remain unaffected by prolonged exposure to the scorching heat of the sun.
- Designed to Meet Basic Needs
The lightweight tent model is specifically designed to accommodate 2 persons. It is the perfect tent for amateur or beginner campers who need only a basic tent that can provide everything they need – nothing fancy, but just the basic essentials.
- Easy to Assemble and Disassemble
The tent is quite easy to assemble and disassemble. You can have the tent setup and ready for use in as fast as 5 minutes. You can take it down and pack it within the same amount of time.
- All-Weather Frame
The tent frame is made tough and durable. It is designed to endure practically all kinds of weather conditions – even mild storms. To be always on the safe side, however, it is recommended to pack up and move to a safer site in case of extremely harsh weather conditions.
- Color Variations Available
Similar to its 1-person counterpart, Lynx 2 is available in different color variations. There is the olive and green outer shell that is the perfect option if you want to camp with a forest background. Bronze and copper lower lining is also available.Copper provides the frame with a cool vibe and provides your tent with extra flair.Tent zipper tags are also available in copper. This way, you can easily identify them. Being easily visible can also help you take a better grip of the zippers.
Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2 Tent Pros and Cons
There is no question that the Lynx 2-person tent from Alps Mountaineering is packed with all the basic features you may need in a camping tent.
However, to help you decide whether it is the right tent for you, it is best to first weigh the pros versus the cons of the product.
- The tent offers a large interior space, which is enough to accommodate 2 persons with ease. You can have even more room for your equipment and gear, even for a cot, if you prefer to occupy the tent alone.
- You get great storage space for your equipment and gear courtesy of the 2 extra vestibules. You can safely keep your small valuables above the ground.
- Despite its many features, Lynx 2 comes with a more affordable price compared to most other 2 to 3 person tents on the market today. You get all the basic features you need without having to spend more money for the extra features.
- The tent is quite durable. It is designed to withstand different types of weather conditions, including mild storms.
- Lynx 2 is lightweight. It is easy to transport when packed properly. Being a 2-person tent, however, it is bigger than a 1-person tent and is therefore not intended to be carried around in a backpack.
- While Lynx 2 boasts of many features, these are all basic and enough to meet the needs of casual and beginner campers. If you are looking for a lot of bells and whistles, this is not the tent for you.
- The tent’s 2-pole design makes it prone to weather manipulation. It can be easily moved by unusually strong winds.
- The tent is not very easy to take down, and it is not easy to transport, either because of its size and weight. If you are planning to carry it around in your backpack, forget it.
- The tent does not offer enough privacy as it allows people to look in from the outside. On the other hand, you cannot look out through the window in case of a storm.
Although boasting only of basic features, the Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2-Person Camping Tent is among the more popular models on the market today. If you are familiar with Lynx 1, Lynx 2 is simply a bigger model with a few added features.
One good thing about Lynx 2 is that it does not pretend to be something else. It is a basic tent – plain and simple – and it is advertised as such. The best part is it delivers the kind of performance you expect.
It offers more than sufficient space for you and your companion, as well as your gear. While the tent could benefit from a few more additional features, it already provides you with your money’s worth as it is. For its incredible tag price, Lynx 2 is a good buy.