Top Ten Camping Hammock Reviews and Buying Guide
Traditionally, when going on a camping adventure, the usual choice for a bedding is the old, trusty sleeping bag, but camping hammocks are getting more and more popular by the day, and for good reason.
Hammocks are more compact and light, so you do not have to lug around a bulky sleeping bag.
Most hammocks can be folded into a small package that is almost the same size as a large grapefruit.
Aside from that there are other reasons why camping hammocks are better, like:
- You are off the ground and away from the reach of creepy-crawling critters.
- Camping hammocks are more comfortable in hot temperatures.
- There are camping hammocks that have its own canopy, essentially making it a tent as well.
If you are thinking of getting your very first camping hammock, here are some of the most popular ones that you can buy online.
Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Hammock
Kootech Camping Hammock
OlarHike Double Camping Hammock
Table of Contents
Our Best Picks
Top Ten Camping Hammocks Reviews
The Best Camping Hammocks
Best Choice: Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Hammock
This hammock is made from high quality materials to ensure its strength, durability, and comfort.
It is also very lightweight and compact, when completely folded up, it is only the size of a grapefruit. It is also budget-friendly, so you won’t break the bank.
Runner up: Kootek Camping Hammock
This camping hammock for two is made of the durable and lightweight parachute nylon, and yet it can still support up to 500 pounds of weight, which is more than enough for two adults.
Highly Recommended: Legit Camping – Double Hammock
Very few camping equipment manufacturers provide lifetime warranties on their products, but this is exactly the case with the Legit Camping camping hammock; if you are no longer satisfied with the hammock, even after years of use, you can get a full refund.
Best Value: OlarHike Double Camping Hammock
Selling at less than $20 for the entire set, not only are you getting a camping hammock that can carry up to 500 pounds of weight, you also get a tent, an emergency shelter, a picnic mat, an awning, and more. You are getting a very versatile kit for just a couple of dollars.
Top Ten Camping Hammock Reviews
- Made of high-quality parachute nylon
This means that the hammock is highly resistant to ripping, puncture, and fraying. It can also support 500 pounds weight.
- Lightweight and compact
Completely unfurled, the single hammock measures 9 feet by 4-1/2 feet, but when folded up, it is no bigger than a grapefruit, so you can just throw it in your pack without even thinking where to place it.
- Fast and easy setup
Tree straps and carabiners are already included in the pack, so you just need to wrap the straps around anything sturdy like a tree and get to relaxing as soon as possible.
- Very compact and lightweight
- Reasonably priced
- Easy set up
- The parachute material doesn’t breathe that much
Made of durable 210 parachute nylon, can support up to 500 pounds of weight
- Heavy duty straps
Comes with 1-inch thick straps that are easy to wrap around trees and secure. The wide straps ensure that you will not be damaging the trees you will be hanging off from.
- Lightweight and compact
The Kootek can hold two persons with no problem, but when folded and compressed into the included carrying bag, it can easily fit into a backpack.
- Easy to use.
You do not have to learn how to tie sophisticated knots (but it would surely help) when setting up this hammock.
At just a little over $20, you will be getting more than your money’s worth.
- Some customers received parachute cords instead of the one inch thick straps. However, when you get in contact with the company, they will provide you with everything that you will need.
- Ultra-light construction.
The full package only weighs 1.1 pounds total, which makes it easy to carry.
The OlarHike is not just a hammock; you can also use it as a picnic blanket, an awning, an emergency shelter, a tent, and others.
- Easy to set up.
You just wrap the included straps around the trees, unfurl the hammock, and hang it using the included heavy-duty carabiners.
- Very budget-friendly.
You can find the OlarHike hammock selling for less than $20 in many online retailers.
- Lightweight and compact.
Makes it easy to carry around in your pack instead of a bulky and heavy sleeping bag.
- Numerous uses.
The OlarHike can be configured for different uses other than a hammock.
- Folding the hammock for storage back in its pouch can be quite a challenge.
- Everything you need is in just one small sack.
This compact camping hammock, with all of its included parts, can fit in just one small sack, which is conveniently attached to the hammock itself.
- Many colors
Comes in a lot of different color combinations. You don’t have to stick with the standard Army green if you don’t want to, get the Sunburst if you want; you can choose the colors that fit your personality.
- Lifetime warranty
The only hammock you will ever need. If you think that other manufacturers have complete confidence in their product, they cannot hold a candle against Legit Camping. Their hammocks come with a lifetime warranty, if you are no longer happy with the hammock, you can ask for a complete refund; no questions asked.
- Incredible lifetime warranty
- Compact and lightweight
- Quality and Service
Company owners are passionate about their products and they are actively listening to the community
- The straps need to be a bit longer.
- The carabiners, right out of the bag, are sharp and could potentially rip up the straps.
- Very sturdy and strong.
Made from 210T nylon, the same fabric used for making parachutes. The straps are also built tough, each one can support up to 1,000 pounds each.
- Comes in a wide variety of colors.
You do not have to settle with the already generic army green, you can choose colors based on your personality.
- Incredible 100% satisfaction guarantee.
If the hammock gets ripped or damaged, you can ask for a complete refund or have a brand new one sent to your doorstep, and the best thing is that you do not even have to send the old hammock, you can keep it.
- Incredible satisfaction guarantee
- Lightweight and compact design
- Twice as strong as the competition
- Although the hammock itself is constructed well, the storage bag is not. However, if you get in touch with Golden Armour, they will help you get sorted immediately.
- Setup in just minutes.
You just need to find two sturdy trees that are relatively near each other, and you can be relaxing in a little over five minutes.
- Strong construction.
Made from high-grade parachute nylon that is not just durable, but also breathes. The seams of the hammock are all triple-stitched for strength.
- Comes with a mosquito net.
The mosquito net can be attached to the hammock in minutes. This means you can sleep beside a river without worrying about mosquitoes and other bugs feasting on your flesh.
- Set up is a breeze;
Even beginners will not have a hard time setting this up
- The included mosquito net is a nice touch
- Sturdy and Spacious
Huge load capacity of 772 pounds, and spacious enough for two adults to share
- The straps are a bit short at just 8 feet each.
- Heavy duty construction.
The hammock is made of tough and durable parachute nylon, and is rated for 500 pounds.
- Quick and easy setup.
Even if you have no recent knowledge of setting up a camping hammock, you can get this ready in just five minutes or less.
- Incredible guarantee.
If for whatever reason you no longer like using your WINNER Outfitters hammock, you just send them a message and they will give you a full refund.
- Can fit two adults or a couple of kids no problem. As long as their combined weight does not exceed 500 pounds
- The total package just weight a pound and a half.
- Inch-wide tree straps prevent the trees from getting damaged
- There’s a lot of excess material when hammock is used by just one person
- At 4.5 feet wide when completely unfurled, this camping hammock can easily fit two persons.
- The built-in mosquito net is suspended well above the opening of the hammock. And it has black out ends so you can sleep in whenever you want.
- Easy to set-up. The mosquito net might take a couple of minutes to figure out though. If you do not need to use the mosquito net, just turn the hammock over.
- Spacious and properly ventilated interior
- Takes just a little over ten minutes to completely set up (including the mosquito net)
- Versatile uses. You can use it as a hammock with mosquito net, a regular hammock, and even as a tent
- Can be quite expensive
- Extra wide for additional comfort. When completely unfolded, the hammock is more than 6.5 feet wide, wide enough for two persons to sleep comfortably
- Straps have a breaking point of 1000 pounds, while the hammock itself can handle more than 700 pounds of weight; a perfect choice for couples who like to go camping together
- Lightweight and compact. When the hammock and straps are stuffed into the carrying bag, which is conveniently sewn at the side of the hammock, it is only the size of a volleyball and weighs just a pound and a half.
- Huge weight capacity, even two people will be able to share the hammock
- Extra wide at more than six feet wide when unfurled completely
- Easy to setup. Will only take you less than five minutes.
- The straps are not nearly as long as most people would like them to be. If needed, buy aftermarket straps that are a bit longer, or find two other trees that are closer together.
- Made of lightweight, yet durable materials.
The hammock itself is made of high quality 210 vinyl cloth, the same kind used for parachutes
Other than camping, this hammock can also be used on the beach, as a picnic blanket, and many others.
- Very affordable.
If you do not have much of a budget for a camping hammock, you should get this one
- Cheap yet very functional.
At just under $15, you will not break the bank just to have quality piece of kit
- Set up is a breeze.
Even for those who have no prior experience with camping, it will only take less that three minutes to completely install
- Comes in a wide variety of colors.
Unlike other hammocks in this list, you can choose from almost a dozen different colors.
- Straps do not come with loops, and they are a bit too short for most campers, you might need to buy aftermarket straps
Because there are so many different brands and models of camping hammocks out there, choosing just one can be very difficult. To make your task a bit easier, you will be learning about the important qualities that you need to look for in a camping hammock.
The very first thing that you need to check before buying a camping hammock. What good would a hammock bring you if it is not even comfortable to use. Regardless if you are looking for a hammock for camping, or one that you will be using in your own home, it needs to be comfortable and supports all the right areas of your body. The material used for making the hammock should also breathe.
The hammock’s weight plays an important role when choosing which one to buy. Keep in mind that you will be carrying it in your back pack for the entire duration of your trip, so every ounce of weight will count. The great thing about camping hammocks these days is that they are not only made of durable materials, they are also very lightweight. You can also choose a two-person hammock so you just need to bring along one for you and your partner. Ideally, the hammock should not weigh more than two pounds.
Strength and Durability
The next most important quality that you need to look for is strength and durability of the hammock. How painful would it be if your hammock suddenly ripped and you fell through and hit the ground. The hammock should be able to withstand years of bad weather and regular wear and tear. The materials used for making the hammock should also be easy to keep clean and maintain.
Hammocks should not just be a bed, they should also have other uses other than just a bedding. As much as possible, the hammock that you get should have two or three. For instance, aside from being a hammock, it can also be used as a picnic blanket, or it can be used as a makeshift tent too.
Hammocks are not so important that you should invest hundreds of dollars on them. Ind fact, there are only a couple of hammocks that cost more than $8o each. You can actually get a good quality hammock for less than fifty bucks, and they can hold their own against the more expensive brands and models.
On the other hand, you should be skeptical of those hammocks that are sold for very cheap prices, as they might not have the same quality and durability of those that are a bit more expensive. You should look for the happy medium between quality and cost so that you can get the best bang for the buck.
It is very rare that you can find a hammock that has the perfect set of straps and carabiners. First of all, the straps should be able to carry the weight of the person using it; you should look for straps that are rated for 1,000 pounds, especially if you will be getting a hammock for two. Second, the straps should be tree-friendly, meaning that they should be thick enough that they would not bruise the trunks of the trees, while still providing a good lashing point.
If you cannot find a hammock with good enough straps, get the hammock that you like the best and just buy aftermarket straps and just keep the ones that came with it as spares.
With all of these tips and advice, you will be able to find the best camping hammock which will provide you with all the functionality that you will ever need.